As the world continues to advance in technology more each day, so does the need for qualified professionals to manage business information systems. Information systems is the study and practice of how information and communication technologies can be utilized in all different types of companies, within different industries, to improve business processes. Through the Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems degree program, students can build a solid business foundation while they learn how to use technology to solve problems in the business world. Here is what the academic degree entails as well as the career opportunities that exist after graduation.
Students who enroll in this program take courses that teach the skills and information necessary to fully understand the industry. The different business theories and concepts in this program include management, accounting, economics, statistics and various marketing concepts. Students are also immersed in courses that focus on technological information such as database management, programming and IT project management. These two elements, business and technological information, pair together to supply students with all the skills and knowledge they need to feel confident within this line of work.
Not only does this degree prepare you for the business information world, but it will excite you and launch you into your career. Careers in information technology demand strong analytical, technical skills and the ability to translate complex concepts to colleagues and customers who do not share your level of expertise. There are many different employment opportunities upon graduating from this program, some of which include:
- Actuarial Analyst: This role is an analyst who conducts research and assesses the financial risks that a company acquires through statistical formulas.
- Business Analyst: This role is an analyst role who more analyzes business data, business models and the systems and processes they use to meet their goals.
- Information Systems Manager: This role is a managerial position within a company that is responsible for directing and controlling computer systems, as well as making sure that they are working as effectively and proficiently as possible.
- Database Administrator: This role is an administrator who will be responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a database.
- Information Security Analyst: This is a role where they are responsible for planning security measures and protecting the company’s computer network and system.
Skills You Will Learn
A degree in business information systems gives graduates the knowledge and skills needed to develop and implement information systems in business environments. With a business technology degree, you will learn some straightforward IT skills such as building familiarity with networking technologies, database management, basic and advanced computer programming, data mining and systems architecture.
You will also develop skills needed for business environments such as organizational and interpersonal behavior, project management, problem-solving, change management, legal, ethical environments of business, planning and organization. The development of these skills allows you to interpret employers' informational needs and translate them into business applications, working with a range of other specialists.
You can begin working toward your information systems degree at Grand Canyon University. Apply for the Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems degree program, available at the Colangelo College of Business. To learn more about the business information systems degree offered through Grand Canyon University’s, click the Request More Information button at the top of this page.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Grand Canyon University. Any sources cited were accurate as of the publish date.