What Is IO Psychology?
The success of any organization is reliant upon the knowledge and skills of its employees. To further the long-term objectives of the company, it’s essential that employees have a desirable blend of soft skills. These should include conflict resolution, communication and interpersonal management skills. With their advanced knowledge of human behavior and motivations, industrial and organizational (IO) psychologists are able to improve organizational efficiency and operations. The Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology degree program at Grand Canyon University is preparing the next generation of IO psychology specialists. The curriculum is aligned with the standards and recommendations of the American Psychological Association (APA).
Offered by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, this master’s in IO psychology provides students with a thorough grounding in scientific principles, research methods and consulting techniques. IO psychology students learn to produce usable data and apply their findings to enhance the workplace environment and optimize productivity and efficiency.
Influence Effective Workplace Behavior with a Master of Science in Industrial Organizational Psychology
The master’s in IO psychology offers insights into why people behave the way they do in the workplace and how employee behavior can be predicted. Future IO psychology specialists learn to apply research-based methods to produce data that lead to actionable recommendations for management. There is an emphasis on contemporary and ethical issues in psychology. GCU encourages students to gain a deeper appreciation of the Christian worldview. Students learn to apply the Christian principles of servant leadership to enhance work life.
Learn Advanced Scientific Principles of Human Behavior in the IO Psychology MS Degree
Through intensive coursework and engaging discussions with peers and instructors, students will acquire foundational knowledge in the advanced principles of IO psychology. In courses such as Principles of Personnel and Human Resource Management, Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Strategies for Effective Leadership and Consultation, students will develop these core competencies:
- Consulting and management strategies for achieving personal, group and organizational goals
- Social and organizational methods and principles for business and industry
- Psychological principles related to personnel and human resource management in physical and virtual work environments
- Theoretical foundations for organizational development, including the psychology behind the way organizations function
All students are required to complete the Professional Capstone. Students develop original research ideas and explore occupational opportunities within the industrial and organizational psychology specialization.
Prepare to Optimize Worker Efficiency and Development with an Industrial Organizational Psychology Masters
IO psychology Master of Science graduates have expertise that is in demand by private corporations, government agencies, universities and research facilities. IO psychology specialists are also in demand by employers who recognize the value of effective management systems and interpersonal skills for long-term profitability. Community organizations, health care providers and nonprofit entities are other possible employers who may utilize the expertise of an IO psychology specialist. Some of the common responsibilities of an IO psychology specialist may include:
- Identifying employee training and development needs
- Designing and implementing training programs, and evaluating program effectiveness
- Providing coaching and mentoring to employees
- Consulting on the optimization of work-life balance and quality of work life
- Conducting leadership training for management personnel
Some graduates may choose to pursue additional certifications to teach or work as consultants. Pursuing a doctoral degree is another way to enhance one’s career qualifications.
*Retrieved from Intelligent.com
* Please note that this list may contain programs and courses not presently offered, as availability may vary depending on class size, enrollment and other contributing factors. If you are interested in a program or course listed herein please first contact your University Counselor for the most current information regarding availability.
* Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. Programs or courses subject to change.