How Useful Is a Business Degree?
If you are considering earning a business degree, you may have asked questions such as, “Is a business degree worth it?” or “How useful is a business degree?” These are valid questions, since earning a degree requires time, dedication, money and hard work. However, there are many benefits that make a business degree worth considering.
Types of Business Degrees
What degree to consider depends on where you are in your educational journey. For example, if you are just out of high school or beginning your journey in higher education, you will want to explore bachelor’s degrees in business. If you have already completed a master’s degree, however, you may want to look into doctoral degrees. There are business programs offered at all three of these levels. Here are some of the benefits specific to each degree level:
Benefits of a Bachelor’s Degree
Bachelor’s degrees in business are the door to the business world. There are many kinds of business bachelor’s degrees. The options span a range of fields, from finance and economics and hospitality management to sports management. These degrees can be pursued on campus or online from the comfort of your home.
Benefits of Master’s Degrees
In today’s increasingly competitive job market, a master’s degree can help you distinguish yourself as an especially valuable employee. Students have a choice of a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or a Master of Science (MS) degree with a specialization in business. Business master’s degrees are useful because they open up career opportunities in higher-level positions. Business graduates with a master’s can apply to become managers or executives. Most doctoral degree programs also require their applicants to have a master’s degree.
Benefits of Doctoral Degrees
A doctoral degree marks completion of the highest level of education and carries great prestige. A Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) follows a master’s degree. A doctoral degree allows a graduate to advance to the level of a top job. It can also boost one’s salary.
10 Notable Benefits of a Business Degree
Business degrees have benefits at every level — bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral. For details on how a business degree can be useful to you, dive into these 10 things you can do with a business degree:
1. Enhance Your Career Qualifications
In today’s competitive job marketplace, it is essential for job candidates and business professionals seeking promotions to find ways to set themselves apart from the competition. A business degree helps qualify you for positions at diverse levels in your field of study. Since many higher-level jobs require higher education, a business degree gives you an edge in the corporate world. Graduates of a business degree program have knowledge and skills that employers know are valuable.
2. Become a Leader in Your Field
If you are interested in becoming a leader in your field, you may find that a business degree can be advantageous. Master’s and DBA programs are especially helpful in developing effective leadership skills. The coursework included in these business degree programs gives you the knowledge and experience necessary for being a good leader in the business world.
3. Network With Professionals
In addition, business degrees offer the opportunity to build your professional network. In a business degree program, you can meet people from all over the world and learn from their diverse perspectives. Both your professors and your peers can widen your knowledge as you grow professionally and academically.
4. Expand Your Career Opportunities
A business degree allows you to expand your job opportunities. Not only does it qualify you for additional promotions, it also gives you the chance to work in a wider range of organizations, companies and businesses. For example, suppose your dream company requires you to have at least a master’s degree in business. If you earn that master’s degree in business, you can apply to work there — or take advantage of the newly enlarged pool of promotion opportunities available to you at your current workplace.
5. Specialize Your Education
If you choose to study business, specialization is another way to advance your career. There are many specializations available at each degree level.
Some business bachelor’s degrees include:
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing and Advertising
- Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurial Studies
Some business master’s degrees include:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Cybersecurity
- Master of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Project Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology Management
- Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA)
- Master of Science in Leadership with an Emphasis in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Some business doctoral degrees include:
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) in Data Analytics
- Doctor of Business Administration in Management
- Doctor of Business Administration in Marketing
6. Learn New Skills
In the process of completing your business degree, you will be increasing your abilities and skills. Each degree program gives you different insights and skills that are useful in your field. Some skills you can expect to acquire in a business program include:
- Servant leadership: Whether you study for a bachelor’s, a master’s or a doctoral degree, you will have the opportunity to learn what it takes to be a servant leader in your field of study.
- Ethical business practices: Adhering to ethical business practices is always important, but in business, knowing how to make ethical business decisions is especially crucial.
- Organizational skills: Organizational leadership and management skills allow you to grow as a professional and in your business strategies.
- Entrepreneurship: If you have a passion for starting businesses, a business degree can help you develop the techniques and skills to succeed.
7. Increase Your Salary
If you want to increase your salary, you have good reason to consider earning a college degree. College degrees give you the opportunity to increase your salary and earning potential. With each additional degree level comes a significant increase in potential earnings.*
8. Manage Your Priorities
Sometimes managing your priorities while taking classes can be challenging. One of the benefits of a business degree program is that it is designed for professionals, with options to facilitate your success whatever your lifestyle. These degree offerings include:
- On-Campus: If you are working toward an undergraduate business degree, you may wish to take classes on campus. These classes offer traditional in-person instruction.
- Online: No matter your degree level, earning your business degree online can be a suitable choice. Online classes are designed so that you can manage your schedule and earn your degree as an active professional from the comfort of your home.
- Evening: Evening classes are also created with the professional in mind. They allow business students to collaborate in person after work hours.
9. Obtain Experience
Whether you are just starting your educational journey or already have a degree, experience is important to growing in your field. A business degree program can help you obtain experience in your field. For example, if you earn your MBA in Finance, you can gain experience in developing financial strategies, investing, accounting, applying financial principles and managing.
10. Explore New Ideas and Strategies
Do you dream of running a business? Do you have an innovative idea or strategy you want to implement in your field? With a business degree, you will be equipped for entrepreneurship and innovation.
Interested in earning your business degree? Grand Canyon University has a variety of business and management programs to fit your needs. To learn more about our degrees or the Colangelo College of Business at GCU, click on the Request Info button at the top of your screen.
*Retrieved from Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities, How Does a College Degree Improve Graduates’ Employment and Earnings Potential? in June 2021
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Grand Canyon University. Any sources cited were accurate as of the publish date.
More About GCU